New Reception Intake
Admission to reception classes
The admission round for entry to reception classes for the School Year 2022/23 opens on 27 September 2021 and closes on 15 January 2022.
Make an application
When does a child start school?
- If your child was born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018, they are due to start school in reception class in the school year starting September 2021. Children must be offered a full-time place from September 2022.
- Parents are entitled to defer their child’s admission or request that their child attend on a part-time basis. By law, children must start statutory education full-time no later than the beginning of the term following their fifth birthday. Read our parents’ guide to admissions to schools in Norfolk for more information.
- You will need to make an application for a reception class place, even if your child currently attends a nursery class at the same school
- Attendance at a nursery attached to a school, does not normally give you any priority for a place at that school
The admissions process in Norfolk
For more information about the admissions process and answers to frequently asked questions, download our parents’ guide to admissions to schools in Norfolk. You can also download information about each primary and infant school.
First admission to school timetable
- Round opens - 27 September 2021
- Round closes - 15 January 2022
- National Offer Day when school place decisions are made available - 19 April 2022
- Appeals closing date - 13 May 2022
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 20 May 2022
- Appeals hearings - June/July 2022
- Waiting lists maintained until 31 December 2022